Tickets for the 2017 MacGill Summer School & Arts Week:
Weekly tickets at €120 (Concessionary €100) and Daily tickets at €20 also available at Summer School Office.
For admittance to individual sessions, pay at the door.
Summer School Office: Main Street (almost opposite Highlands Hotel)
Open from Wednesday July 12th – Friday July 14th 2017: 2.00pm—7.00pm. Saturday July 15th – Friday July 21st 2017: 10.00am—8.00pm. Tel. 074-9557851.
Information also available from 074-9551103 and from Highlands Hotel tel. 074-9551111.
Office Co-ordinator: James O’Malley 086-0865047
Places To Eat In Glenties:
- Highlands Hotel Restaurant & Bar Food – Tel: 074 9551111
- Kennedy’s Bar and Restaurant (An Cluid) – opposite Highlands Hotel under owner/management of Kieran and Ann Kennedy. Wide variety of dishes in the bar and restaurant. Tel: 074 9551050
- Jim’s Cafe, Main Street, Glenties—Traditional fish & chips a speciality. Open 11.00 am—11.00 pm. Tel: 074 9551284
- Maud’s Cafe, Main Street, Glenties. Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Ali’s Char Bar, Main Street, Glenties (serving soups, sandwiches, quiche, lasagna, wraps, burgers, tea/coffee. It also has an evening menu. Tel: 074 9551177.
Transport can be arranged by contacting the Summer School office or Highlands Hotel.
TRAVEL TO AND FROM GLENTIES:
Air: Aer Lingus: two daily flights, Dublin – Donegal Airport (Carrickfin) 13.15 and 19.00 every day.
Donegal Airport (Carrickfin) – Dublin 07.55 (Mon to Sat) and 10.30 (Sun); 14.40 (Tues and Sat), and 17.25 (Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat)
Booking online: www.aerlingus.com
Info also from Donegal airport – Tel: 074-9548284
Places To Visit Around Glenties
- Beaches: visit the celebrated and beautiful Narin Strand and pier in picturesque Portoo about 15 minutes by car from Glenties.
There will be transport available from Highlands Hotel to Narin Strand for a walk or a swim every morning Monday-Friday leaving at 8.00 a.m. and leaving Narin at 9.15 a.m.
- Golf: 18-hole Narin & Portnoo Golf Club situated in a beautiful setting beside Narin Strand.
Tel: 074-9545107 for bookings.
- Walks: beautiful walks around Glenties, on Narin Strand and in the Bluestack Mountains. Information from the Summer School office and Highlands Hotel.
Places Of Special Interest
- The home of the McLoones in Glenties where lived the aunts of the playwright, Brian Friel, and who inspired his classic “Dancing At Lughnasa”
- The birthplace of Patrick MacGill in the Glen
- The fishing port of Killybegs/the spectacular Glenveagh National Park/the Glebe Gallery and the late Derek Hill’s residence
- The Dolmen Centre at Kilclooney
- Ardara, famous for tweed/Magees, Donegal town/The Gaeltacht of Glencolumbcille (Turas Cholmcille, archeology and beautiful Silver Strand)
- The 600-metre high cliffs of Sliabh Liag
- St Conal’s Church in Glenties designed by Liam McCormick
- Special Attraction: take a ride on the old Donegal railway, a section of which has been lovingly restored. Based at Fintown (Baile na Finne) the rail car runs along the shore of the spectacular Lough Finn.
For info: 074-9546280
Day/half day tours available for groups. Contact Frank McGuinness at 087-2395827.